This recipe is from the amazing cook and author Miyoko Schinner. She is the author of many cookbooks; The homemade Vegan pantry, the Artisan vegan cheese and much more. She also have its own vegan restaurant.
I use this Vegan Butter recipe in a lot of my baking, it’s very simple to make and the taste is very close to real butter ! I always make two to four blocks of butter at the time, I keep one in the fridge and I froze the other ones. That way I always have some on hand.
Serves: 1 cup
- 11/2 cups of refined coconut oil
- (no extra virgin coconut oil)
- ½ cup of creamy soy milk with no nutty flavor, almond milk, cashew nut milk or cashew cream or store-bought non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup canola, grape seed or light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons liquid lecithin
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process at medium speed for about
- minute. Pour into a container of your choice - the mold made of silicone are perfect because the butter is easy to unmold. Place it in the refrigerator for a few hours, until it is hard or in the freezer, to accelerate hardening. This glorious butter substitute will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks or several months in the freezer.
Lecithin is an emulsifying agent generally derived from soybeans. It will help mix oil and water and prevent separation. If you can find only lecithin granules, you’ll need to use two to four times the amount of the liquid lecithin called for.